CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority will offer free rides on June 22 to coincide with Xtinguish Torch Fest, Blazing Paddles race and a host of other events planned for the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Cuyahoga River fire.
The RTA Board on Tuesday accepted a $75,000 grant from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History to sponsor the free-fare Saturday.
A highlight of Cuyahoga50 is the five-day event scheduled from June 19 to 23. Dozens of community groups and other partners will host a series of clean water events during at various locations along the river.
There’s also lots more: lighted boat parade, a Western Reserve Rowing Association regatta, Great Lakes Burning River Fest at the historic Coast Guard Station, doubleheader international men’s soccer tournament and an Indians game against the Detroit Tigers.
Check out all the fun planned on RocktheLake.com/events.
- Four-day Xtinguish Torch Fest marks 50th anniversary of Cuyahoga River fire, along 100 miles of waterway
- Cuyahoga River celebrations, professional soccer tournament at FirstEnergy Stadium: Mark your calendars for June 22
- Cuyahoga River Brewery Trail ready to launch
- Ready for summer? Saturday June 22 should be a busy day in Cleveland
- CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer tournament, lighted boat parade: Saturday June 22 should be a busy day in Cleveland
- Cuyahoga River enjoys revival 49 years after the fire: a visual tour
- Rock Hall, Great Lakes Science Center collaborate on 50th anniversary celebration for Cuyahoga River
- How the Cuyahoga River caught fire is topic of June 16 program
- Cuyahoga River’s recovery since 1969 fire documented in new Ohio EPA film on YouTube