By Anne Kauranen and Tarmo Virki HELSINKI (Reuters) – Finland’s leftist Social Democrats won a parliamentary election on Sunday by a slight margin with 18.9 percent of votes, partial results showed, amid mounting concern among voters over the future of the country’s expensive welfare system.The center-right National Coalition of outgoing Finance Minister Petteri Orpo came in second, with 16.7 percent of the advance votes, after 47 percent of ballots were counted. The Centre Party of Prime Minister Juha Sipila scored third, with 15.5 percent.If final results confirm the outcome, Social Democrat leader Antti Rinne could become Finland’s first leftist prime minister in two decades. But the process of putting together a coalition could be drawn out because a fragmented parliament. Public broadcaster Yle is expected to publish its forecast of the final election result at 1830 GMT.”For the first time in a long time, Social Democrats are the largest party,” Rinne, a 56-year-old former union leader, told reporters. With the top contenders running close, the final results could still show another group winning and getting the first shot at forming a government. A relatively strong showing by the nationalist Finns Party, which scored 15.4 percent, could further complicate coalition talks,… Read full this story
- Are German Social Democrats Doomed?
- Argentina election results LIVE updates: Exit polls give Fernández a lead over Macri
- Argentina election results: What time do polls close, when can we expect results?
- Live Canada election results 2019: Real-time results in the federal election
- Donald Trump, international media react to Canada's 'coin toss' election results
- Election Results: BJP Sails Through Maharashtra, Looks At Independents In Haryana: 10 Facts
- Election Results 2019: "Few Governments Return After 5 Years": PM On Haryana, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra, Haryana Election Results Live Updates: BJP Gets Support Of 8 More MLAs In Haryana
- Argentina election result: Who won the election and what it means for the Falklands
- Canada elections results LIVE 2019: Canada votes in ‘tight’ race which could oust Trudeau
Finnish Social Democrats on top in partial election result have 333 words, post on www.metro.us at April 14, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.