Jacob Baumgart /THE REVIEW Previously, undergraduate students earning a semester GPA of 3.33 or higher for a full-time course load were placed on the Dean’s List. BY MITCHELL PATTERSON Associate News Editor On Monday, the Faculty Senate voted to raise the GPA requirement from 3.33 to 3.50. Doing so not only reduces the amount of undergraduate students honored, but also brings the university up to the same Dean’s List standard used by most comparable institutions. Previously, undergraduate students earning a semester GPA of 3.33 or higher for a full-time course load were placed on the Dean’s List. This accounted for approximately half of the undergraduate population, bringing the prestige of the Dean’s List into question. “Raising the criterion for Dean’s List honors to a GPA of 3.50 returns the typical percentage receiving honors below 40%,” Chris Williams, professor of wildlife ecology and chair of the senate’s Executive Committee, said. “It also makes our Dean’s List criterion fall into a range more typical of our comparator institutions.” On March 11, a special session of the Faculty Senate Committee on Undergraduate Education proposed raising that criterion to 3.5 in order to combat increasing grade-inflation. According to a study by Earl “Rusty” Lee,… Read full this story
- Ron Unz’s U.S. Senate race raises concerns of splintered GOP vote
- ‘Mate, I don’t know’: Anthony Albanese’s trainwreck interview on ‘important’ Senate vote
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag
- Elena Kagan appointed to the supreme court after US senate vote
- Trump jokes during USMCA signing ceremony that he needs senators' votes for acquittal
- Senate votes to limit Donald Trump’s powers to wage war on Iran and President says move ‘sends a very bad signal’
- Mitch McConnell Faces Backlash Over Bid To Force Senate Votes On Anti-Abortion Laws: 'The First Thing We Do Is Go After Women?'
- Gov. Noem’s revival of riot laws heads to Senate vote
- Industrial hemp bill ready for Senate vote
- Midterms Overtime: Mississippi Gears Up for a Competitive Senate Runoff
Faculty Senate votes to raise Dean’s List requirement to 3.5 GPA – The Review have 348 words, post on udreview.com at April 7, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.