Theresa May’s £1billion fund to regenerate towns in pro-Brexit areas was today blasted as ‘bobbins’ by Labour MPs she is accused of trying to ‘bribe’ to back her Brexit deal. Up to 35 rebels are said to be queasy about the possibility of a second EU referendum as Mrs May tries to woo them and others ahead of next week’s make-or-break vote. Mrs May has set out plans to funnel nearly £1billion into ‘left-behind’ towns – with most cash going to the North and Midlands – and will pledge to beef up workers’ rights as part of a package designed to persuade Labour MPs to back her Brexit deal. But potential targets have said that their votes ‘can’t be bought’ – and claim that the cash injection is far less than the amount the Tories have cut from public spending since 2010. Speaking today Labour MP for Redcar, Anna Turley, whose region would receive an extra £105million over six years, said: ‘It really is bobbins compared to what we have had taken away from a whole raft of public services’. Birmingham MP Jess Phillips tweeted: ‘I tell you what she can keep her money, what I want is for her to… Read full this story
- Tory MPs abandon Theresa May and join Labour rebels in Independent Group – what does it all mean?
- Justice minister and close ally of Theresa May resigns over Brexit policy so he can vote to give MPs say over final EU deal
- Theresa May vows that Brexit will boost the whole world as Kenyan PM insists it won’t harm trade
- Can a knighthood be taken away and which Sirs have had the honour withdrawn?
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 leak reveals official name and new curvy design
- City may have contributed to West Nile virus outbreak in Pocket area, officials say
- 'Of all the women she did NOT choose the Queen!' Meghan faces backlash over 'trailblazers' Vogue cover she worked on during maternity leave as royal watchers warn her to keep out of politics
- Boris Johnson compares Theresa May’s ‘humiliating’ Brexit deal to TITANIC and calls on UK not to pay £39billion divorce bill
- 5 Fitness Pros Over 50 Reveal The One Daily Ritual They Never Skip
- GTE may bid for MCI
'It really is bobbins compared to what the Tories have taken away': Backlash against May's bid to woo Brexit rebels with a £1billion 'bribe' for towns in pro-Leave areas as it is revealed it will be split over SIX YEARS have 387 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 4, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.