“2019’s Cities with the Highest and Lowest Credit Scores,” a report by personal finance web site WalletHub, analyzed the median credit scores of residents in 2,572 U.S. cities.
Monument ranked in the 98th percentile, Highlands Ranch in the 96th percentile, Fort Collins in the 77th percentile, Colorado Springs in the 54th percentile, Denver in the 51st percentile, Pueblo was in the 27th percentile and Fountain ranked in the 18th percentile.
Cities with the best median credit scores were The Villages, Fla. (806), Sun City Center, Fla. (791), Sun City West, Ariz. (789), Saratoga, Calif. (784) and Green Valley, Ariz. (783).
Detroit, Mich., Chester, Pa. and Camden, N.J. were at the bottom of the list, with median credit scores of 552, 552 and 543 respectively.
WalletHub compared the median credit scores of residents in each of the as of September 2018, based on TransUnion data. The study considered only the city proper in each case and excluded cities in the surrounding metro area. Cities were categorized according to the following population sizes.
- Large cities: More than 300,000 people
- Midsize cities: 100,000 to 300,000 people
- Small cities: Fewer than 100,000 people
Percentile rankings by city size can be seen at wallethub.com/free-credit-score.
Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story reported percentiles as rankings. Pueblo is not ranked 27th, but is rather in the 27th percentile for credit scores.
- EMI defaults have maximum impact on your credit score: ClearScore
- Millennials would rather raise their credit score than Instagram follower count
- Boost Your Credit Score by Requesting a Credit Limit Increase
- 'Cuddle hormone' oxytocin may make men more interested in casual short-term flings with unfaithful partners, a new study claims
- How to boost your credit score and overhaul your finances in 5 easy steps
- Water aboard most major airlines is not safe enough to drink or even wash your hands with, new study finds - and Spirit and JetBlue are among the worst offenders
- Girls are JUST at good at math as boys and brain maturity does not vary by gender, new study finds, debunking the myth that has helped fuel the STEM gender gap
- 8 Reasons Your Credit Score Declined
- Payment firm Klarna messed up my credit score, says student
- How long you stay married to your partner could be linked to your genes, new study suggests