WASHINGTON — It was an awkward match of man and mission: President Trump aspired to be a unifying political leader Tuesday night in his second State of the Union address, but he was also a candidate for re-election in 2020 whose campaign almost surely will set records for division. In his 1 hour, 22 minute speech to a joint session of Congress – one of the longest on record – Trump addressed two audiences and tried to accomplish two goals at odds with each other. Related Headlines In State of the Union, Trump defends immigration agenda, announces North Korea summit Even as he exhorted members of Congress to come together on an agenda of shared legislative interests, he provoked Democrats on immigration, abortion and investigations of his administration. The pomp and grandeur of the speech gave Trump an opportunity to relish the trappings of traditional power, honoring heroes invited to listen from the House gallery, waxing nostalgic about past examples of American unity in World War II and laying out a long list of proposals, few of which he devoted much time to defending or explaining. But at the same time, “this is a campaign kickoff speech,” said Scott Jennings,… Read full this story
- UK Lords push for Trump to address parliament in July visit
- The Finance 202: Trump team faces long odds for trade breakthrough in Beijing
- U.K. Lords push for Trump to address Parliament in July visit
- Donald Trump to address Jerusalem embassy opening by video, says official
- Donald Trump to address Jerusalem embassy opening by video: official
- '60 Minutes' anchor says Trump trying to make sure 'no one will believe' negative stories
- CNN's Don Lemon: Trump trying to ‘save his presidency’ by lying about FBI informant
- Trump could address UK Parliament as members look to nix anti-Trump speaker's ban
- Donald Trump could address UK Parliament under peers’ support
- Analysis: Donald Trump wants to win Colorado and Minnesota in 2020. One is more likely than the other.
Analysis: In speech, Trump tries to address 2 goals at odds with each other have 333 words, post on www.pressherald.com at February 6, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.