Hosted by Andy Langer, the National Podcast of Texas features weekly interviews with prominent Texas thinkers, leaders, and newsmakers. Subscribe at Apple News, Google Play, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. In 1999, then senior executive editor Paul Burka wrote a cover story about Nolan Ryan, months before Major League Baseball’s all-time strikeout leader was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Burka asked how Ryan how was enjoying retirement. “For a moment Ryan fixed me with a pitcher’s stare, a look so deep that it seemed to originate from behind his eyeballs,” Burka wrote. “I didn’t retire,” answered Ryan. “I just don’t play baseball.” Twenty years later, in a suite at Round Rock’s Dell Diamond—home of the Astros Triple A affiliate the Round Rock Express—Ryan has a similar answer. “I was a retired baseball player, but not retired. That’s still pretty much what it is,” says Ryan, who pitched for the New York Mets, California Angels, the Houston Astros, and the Texas Rangers across 27 seasons. “Your focus changes and obligations change, and I set my own schedule more than I did in 1999. I do more things I want to and less things that require my presence and… Read full this story
- Stop Hailing Women as Good or Bad Role Models
- Tiger and Obama: Fallen Black Role Models?
- Ashley Walters Learns You Cannot Be a Role Model in a Jail Cell
- Gwen Ifill, Powerful Role Model, Dies at 61
- Celebrating African American History Month with Role Models in Science & Engineering Achievement: Stephanie C. Hill
- Role Models Re-Imagined As Disney Princesses Will Have You Perplexed
- I Didn't Ask To Be A Role Model For My Kids
- Is Jay-Z Now a Relationship Role Model?
- Rachael Denhollander: 'Amazing role model for all women'
- Role Models in Science & Engineering Achievement: Helen Murray Free -- Chemist
Nolan Ryan: “Why Wouldn’t an Athlete Want to Be a Positive Role Model?” have 324 words, post on www.texasmonthly.com at January 28, 2019. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.