Oct. 13, 1946 – Jan. 6, 2019
Ellen F. Trautman, of East Aurora, who managed a Buffalo program that helped thousands of teenagers face the challenges of pregnancy and parenting, died Jan. 6 in the Mollie and Jack Zicklin Hospice in the Bronx after a 17-month struggle with glioblastoma, a brain cancer. She was 72.
Born in Buffalo, one of three children, she was the daughter of William R. Trautman, founder of the architectural and engineering firm Trautman Associates.
She was a 1964 graduate of East Aurora High School, where she was secretary of the National Honor Society. She earned a bachelor’s degree in Spanish from Denison University in Ohio in 1968, then went on to complete a master’s degree in Latin American studies at New York University.
Ms. Trautman was a loan officer at Wells Fargo Bank in New York City from 1975 to 1981, when she married Roberto Mendizabal and moved to Peru.
As a personal finance officer with Banco de Credito del Peru from 1981 to 1995, she traveled throughout Latin America.
After she and her husband separated in 1995, she returned to Western New York. A year later, she began working with the Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers. In 1999, she was appointed project director for its Buffalo Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Services division.
She wrote and acquired numerous federal, state and local grants and was an outspoken advocate for funding for teen pregnancy prevention.
Prior to her retirement at the end of 2016, she arranged a capital improvement grant for a renovation of the Youth Services Department at her agency.
She was an adjunct professor of Spanish at Medaille College and Erie Community College. She also served as a translator in Buffalo City Court and Erie County Court.
Survivors include two sons, Marine Corps Maj. Federico W. Mendizabal and Robert H. Mendizabal; and a brother, Dr. Paul D. Trautman.
A funeral service will be held in the spring.
- Problems Associated With Teen Pregnancy
- Canadian Pharmacy Drugstore Salutes Decreasing Teen Pregnancy
- Grandma's six-year sentence for teen pregnancy in 1930s inspired Edina author's latest book
- Teen pregnancies continue to fall in Wigan
- Teen Pregnancy: What are my Options?
- Banks Role In Providing MTNs Used For Managed Buy-Sell Programs
- Elton John leaps to the defense of Ellen DeGeneres' saying he 'admires' her friendship with George W. Bush and insists we've all made mistakes but 'people need to come together'
- U.S. Pregnancy Products Market Dialing up Growth Rate, Stretchmark Minimizers Driving Growth
- Buffalo MBA: Canisius College - Richard J. Wehle Business School (Buffalo)
- Elton John defends Ellen DeGeneres’ friendship with George W. Bush