President Trump has announced he will nominate Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley to be the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, replacing current Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford when his term expires in October 2019. Mr. Trump made the announcement on Twitter before the Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia Saturday. “I am pleased to announce my nomination of four-star General Mark Milley, Chief of Staff of the United States Army – as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, replacing General Joe Dunford, who will be retiring,” Mr. Trump tweeted. “I am thankful to both of these incredible men for their service to our Country! Date of transition to be determined,” he tweeted. Milley will have to be confirmed by the Senate to take this post. Milley served as a Green Beret and commanded troops in Afghanistan. According to The Washington Post, Mr. Trump decided on Milley over Gen. David Goldfein, whom Defense Secretary Jim Mattis preferred. Milley has previously been at odds with Mr. Trump. After the deadly white nationalist protest in Charlottesville in August 2017, Mr. Trump incited criticism by saying there were “good people on both sides” of the protest. Milley tweeted that… Read full this story
- Trump announces national parks to reopen but doesn't offer dates or details
- Coronavirus Update: President Trump Announces Executive Order To ‘Temporarily Suspend Immigration’
- U.S. pausing certain immigrant visas for 60 days over coronavirus, Trump announces
- Trump announces coronavirus testing milestone, says PPP stimulus deal imminent
- Donald Trump announces emergency action on the plunging oil price saying he will find a way to keep energy companies afloat – after dismissing it as 'a financial thing'
- Coronavirus: Trump announces ‘we’re opening up our country’
- Covid-19: Trump announces federal guidelines for reopening US economy
- COVID-19: Donald Trump eager to 'get sports back' as league chiefs remain wary
- US prez Trump announces gradual reopening as economy flounders
- Trump Announces 'Opening Up America Again' Plan but Now Admits the States 'Call the Shots'
Trump announces nomination of Gen. Mark Milley as next chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff have 342 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at December 8, 2018. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.