With the midterm elections coming up on Tuesday, CNN and other sources are reporting that NBC and Fox News Channel have now joined CNN in choosing not to air a Donald Trump-approved campaign commercial that CNN calls a “racist anti-immigrant advertisement.”
The commercial features an announcer warning of a 7,000 person “migrant caravan,” and also mentions the case of Luis Bracamontes, an undocumented Mexican immigrant convicted of killing two California law enforcement officers. The ad says America cannot allow this migrant “invasion,” and encourages voting for Republicans.
Donald Trump, Jr. took to Twitter to say, “CNN refused to run this ad… I guess they only run fake news and won’t talk about real threats that don’t suit their agenda. Enjoy. Remember this on Tuesday.
In response, the CNN Communications account wrote: “CNN has made it abundantly clear in its editorial coverage that this ad is racist. When presented with an opportunity to be paid to take a version of this ad, we declined. Those are the facts.”
NBC took heat, as the Wrap reports, for airing the ad during “Sunday Night Football.” After criticism from, among others, Debra Messing, who stars in the NBC series, “Will & Grace,” and writer-director Judd Apatow, NBC issued a statement, according to the Wrap reading, “After further review we recognize the insensitive nature of the ad and have decided to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible.”
CNN reports that a spokesperson for Fox News, which generally supports Trump, said, “Upon further review, Fox News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either Fox News Channel or Fox Business Network.”
The ad has been widely seen as part of the Trump-led campaign to portray Central American migrants as a threat, a characterization intended to rally the Trump base and motivate them to vote for Republican candidates in Tuesday’s midterm elections.
— Kristi Turnquist
- Theresa May Slaps Down Donald Trump Over Immigration Claims
- Donald Trump blasts immigration in Europe and links it to terrorism
- Donald Trump returns to campaign trail and discredited promise to make Mexico pay for border wall
- Jury selected for trial of Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman
- Donald Trump's former campaign boss Paul Manafort appears in court in first test for Russia investigation
- UAE Denies Trying to Influence Donald Trump's Election Campaign
- Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly touts praise from President Trump in new campaign ad
- Scottish church leaders criticise Donald Trump’s immigration policies
- US President Donald Trump says his campaign was likely spied on
- Theresa May condemns Donald Trump’s immigration policy calling pictures of children in cages ‘deeply disturbing’