WHAT: South Alabama (2-7, 1-4 Sun Belt) vs. Louisiana-Monroe (5-4, 3-2)
WHEN: 4 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile
LINE: ULM by 6.5
THIS GAME WILL DETERMINE: If South Alabama can play spoiler in the Sun Belt Conference West Division race. ULM currently resides in first place by a game over Arkansas State and UL-Lafayette.
THREE THINGS TO LOOK FOR
1. Will the Jaguars play with emotion? South Alabama is almost certainly not going to a bowl game this season, so they’ve been reduced to being mostly a spoiler in their final three games. Will the chance to end the season on a winning streak be enough for USA to play with intensity for 60 minutes?
2. Can Cephus Johnson take care of the ball? Johnson, a redshirt freshman, is expected to make his first career start on Saturday with regular starter Evan Orth dealing with a shoulder injury. Johnson has thrown four interceptions and fumbled a couple of times in limited playing time this season.
3. Which ULM team will we see? The Warhawks have played their best football against its better opponents this year, staying with Troy for the entire game, beating Southern Miss and thumping Georgia Southern last week. However, ULM lost big to Georgia State, and let Texas State and Southeastern Louisiana hang around before finishing them off.
ULM WR Marcus Green vs. South Alabama CB Jalen Thompson: Green is one of the top deep threat receivers in the Sun Belt, averaging 19.1 yards per catch with seven touchdowns. Thompson is a ballhawk, but has been known to take chances.
BY THE NUMBERS
15 — Career pass attempts for South Alabama QB Cephus Johnson, who is expected to make his first career start on Saturday.
South Alabama DL Rocell McWilliams (Achilles), LB Roy Yancey (leg), DE Chris Henderson (thigh), LB Riley Cole (leg), WR Sam Harris (concussion) and LS Andrew Zink (knee) are out; QB Evan Orth (shoulder) is questionable; DL Sean Brown (undisclosed), LB Bull Barge (undisclosed), RB Deonta Moore (ankle) are probable. ULM DE Barry Howard (knee), TE Sloan Spiller (shoulder), SAF Luke Hedrick (shoulder), SAF Tyler Glass (upper body), TE Reagan Heddins (upper body), WR Xavier Brown (shoulder) are out.
- NC State 35, South Alabama 13
- NC State deals South Alabama 1st-ever loss, 35-13
- South Alabama 79, LSU 75
- Louisville 97, South Alabama 70
- Georgia St. 75, South Alabama 73
- FBS rookie South Alabama hoping for growth
- NC State 31, South Alabama 7
- NC State rolls past South Alabama
- No. 25 Florida St. 80, South Alabama 39
- South Alabama 90, Mobile 48