It’s been four years since Michael Brown was killed. The unarmed black teenager was shot by white police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri, on August 9, 2014.
On that day, Wilson received a report of a theft at a convenience store when he spotted Brown, who matched the suspect’s description. There was an altercation between the two, leading to a police chase. Wilson fired his gun 12 times at Brown, hitting him about six times, according to The New York Times. Some witnesses, including Wilson, said Brown charged at him. Other witnesses said he had his hands up in the air when Wilson shot at him, while others said he only raised his hands briefly and put them back down, according to The New York Times.
Since the 18-year-old’s death, thousands more have been the victims of police violence. According to The Washington Post‘s Fatal Force database, 559 people have been shot and killed by police in 2018, inluding 12 unarmed black men, according to the database.Here are the 12 unarmed black men who have been shot and killed by police this year:
1. Antwon Rose: The unarmed 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in June in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Rose, a high school student, was shot on June 19, after police responded to reports of a vehicle leaving the scene where a 22-year-old was shot. Police detained the driver when Rose and another person left the car and began running. Officer Michael Rosfeld shot and killed Rose, and was charged with criminal homicide in June, The New York Times reported.
2. Stephon Clark: Clark, 22, was shot and killed in his backyard in March after police officers mistook his cellphone for a weapon. The Sacramento Police Department responded to a 911 call of a man breaking into parked cars in the neighborhood and followed the instructions of the department’s helicopter team, which said it saw a suspect pick up a toolbar and break a window of a home before he ran into his own backyard. Video released by the SPD showed the police asking the black father of two to “show me your hands” before someone else yelled “gun” and began firing.
3. Rashaun Washington: The 36-year-old black man from Vineland, New Jersey, was shot and killed by a Vineland police officer on July 14, KYW-TV reported. The officer, who was placed on administrative leave after the shooting, allegedly shot the unarmed man three times. Some witnesses told the news station that the officers sicced a K-9 dog on Washington who bit him several times, causing him to bleed to death, according to the news station.
“Please do not push this case to the side, being as though it was an officer, and let it go. We need justification for Rashaun,” Dawn Fisher, Washington’s cousin, told the news station.
4. Anthony Marcell Green: Anthony “Tony” Green, 33, was shot and killed by a police officer in Kingsland, Georgia, on June 20. A Kingsland police officer was following a vehicle at the intersection of Lily Street and North East Street in Kingsland when two people fled from the vehicle, WTLV reported. The officer chased after them and when he reached Green, an altercation ensued, which eventually led to the officer firing his gun at Green, killing him, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
5. Robert Lawrence White: The 41-year-old man from Silver Spring, Maryland, was shot and killed on June 11 by a Maryland County police officer, WTOP reported. The officer was in the area responding to another 911 call when White allegedly approached him because he seemed suspicious and “became combative,” causing an altercation, The Washington Post reported. The unarmed black man was shot and killed. There were no weapons found at the scene. The officer, Anand Badgujar, was cleared of the killing by Maryland prosecutors in June, according to The Washington Post.
6. Marcus-David L. Peters: The unarmed 24-year-old black man was shocked with a stun gun before he was shot on May 14, in Richmond, Virginia, WWBT reported. Peters was having a mental episode when he was shot and killed by Richmond Police officer Michael Nyantakyi, according to the news station.
“There are protocols, policies and procedures that well-trained departments follow when somebody exhibits signs of what appears to me to be excited delirium,” said Jonathan Halperin, Peters’s family attorney, told the news station.
7. Juan Markee Jones: Jones, 25, was shot and killed in Danville, Virginia, on April 8, by Danville police officers. Authorities said they were responding to a disturbance call when officers approached Jones, whom they suspected of attacking a woman, according to The Seattle Times. Police said Jones ignored their commands, drove to a wooded area and refused to show his hands when he was confronted by officers again. Officers deployed a stun gun at Jones, but it did not work, the publication reported. Jones then became “threatening” to the officers, which caused them to fire their guns, according to The Seattle Times.
8. Danny Thomas: The 35-year-old was shot and killed in Greenspoint, Texas, on March 22, by a deputy police officer. Cameron Brewer, a deputy at the Harris County Sheriff’s Office in Houston, shot the unarmed black man after he stopped him at an intersection of Greens Road and Imperial Valley Drive in Greenspoint, because he was acting erratically, KHOU11 reported. Brewer, who is also black, was placed on administrative leave after the shooting and then fired, CNN reported.
9. Cameron Hall: Hall, 27, was shot and killed in a house in Casa Grande, Arizona, on March 15. Casa Grande Police told KNXV-TV that police were dispatched to a home in Casa Grande where they were confronted by Hall, who assaulted a police officer. Officers said they tried to use their stun gun on Hall to bring him down, but it did not work, which eventually led to the officers shooting and killing the unarmed black man.
10. Shermichael Ezeff: Ezeff, 31, was shot and killed in an apartment complex in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on March 14, WAFB reported. Ezeff, who experienced a psychotic breakdown two days before he was killed, came into contact with a police deputy from the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Department who was serving court papers at an apartment complex in Baton Rouge, KATC reported. The 31-year-old was covered in blood and had a cut on his arm when an altercation took place and caused the deputy to shoot Ezeff once, KATC reported.
11. Ronell Foster: Foster, 32, was shot and killed on February 13, while he was riding his bike in Vallejo, California, KTVU reported. A Vallejo police department officer stopped Foster while he was riding his bike around 7:40 p.m. after a domestic dispute between him and his girlfriend, according to the news station. A “violent physical struggle” broke out between the two, but the officer fired his gun, killing Foster, KTVU reported. Police said the officer attempted to use a taser, but it did not work.
12. Arthur McAfee Jr.: The 61-year-old black Vietnam veteran was shot and killed by a police officer on January 20, in Longview, Texas. Harrison County Sheriff Department Sergeant Jeff McAndrews responded to a 911 call to do a welfare check on McAfee when the 61-year-old attacked his sister and McAndrews, KLTV reported. McAndrews shot the unarmed black veteran during the scuffle.
- It Doesn’t Matter Whether Michael Brown Smoked Weed
- Ex-Indiana police officer justified in black man's killing
- Terry Pratchett Death Anniversary: Remembering the author of the Discworld series
- International war crimes court may probe British military for first time over claims that SAS and Black Watch soldiers killed children and tortured civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Sterling K. Brown Makes History as First Black Actor to Win SAG Award in His Category
- Man Shot, Killed In Gated Woodland Hills Apartment Complex
- Are Black People Targeted By Police? Here’s What The Data Says
- Prosecutor says Nathaniel Woods should be executed even if he didn't kill police officers
- SWAT Officer Shot, Killed Serving Warrant In Philadelphia
- Families of SF men killed by police to ask attorney general to file charges
- Generational Differences in Black Activism
- There’s a Huge Racial Divide on Crime and Trusting the Police
- BART to pay family $6 million over fatal police shooting in West Oakland
- Eighteen people are arrested as protests break out in St. Paul after cop who killed Philando Castile was CLEARED by mostly white jury- and his mother wished for the officer's death
- Dog walker dies after being shot in the leg on a Harlem street after stumbling on confrontation between two men
- NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio slams 'painful to watch' video of 20-year-old black man getting piled on by nearly a dozen officers during arrest as NYPD commissioner launches an internal investigation
- Murdered journalist Lyra McKee’s mother dies ‘of broken heart’ as one-year anniversary approaches
- Beyonce's new album-film Lemonade pays tribute to African American women, Black Lives Matter
- The 2018 ComicBook.com Golden Issue Award for Best Actor
- Farmer who shot dead his estranged wife as she sat in her Range Rover ‘wanted to frighten her with the gun so she would get back with him’
|Timex Men's Q7B820 Ironman Sport Wrap 12-16mm Black Replacement Watchband (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Timex Originals Waterbury Chronograph Black Dial Brown Leather Stainless Steel Indiglo Light Mens Watch TW2P64800 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|12 Piece Black Carbon Fiber Watch Display Case Men's Watch Box Collection Jewelry Storage Glass Top (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Guess Brown Face With Set Of 2 Leather Cuffs;Brown & Black Men Watch-U95045G1 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|AVI-8 Men's AV-4010-03 "Hawker Hunter" Black Ion-Plated Stainless Steel and Brown Leather Strap Watch (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Porsamo Bleu Milan G Noir Stainless Steel Rose Tone, Brown & Black Men's Diamond Watch 073DMIS (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Invicta Men's 12776 Venom Reserve Brown River Pearl Dial GMT Black Artificial Rubber Watch (check at Amazon)||4.4|
|Michael Kors Men's MK7052 Silver and Black 3 Hand Watch (check at Amazon)||1.0|
|Michael Kors Dean Chronograph Dark Grey Black Ion-plated Mens Watch MK8276 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Michael Kors Men's MK8140 Silver and Black Madison Watch (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|CASIO watch G-SHOCK 30th anniversary model Resist Black world six stations wave solar model GW-5530C-1JR Men's [amount-limited] (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|CASIO watch G-SHOCK 30th anniversary model Resist Black DW-5030C-1JR Men's [amount-limited] (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|12 Piece Black Leatherette Men's Watch Display Organizer Storage Case For Watches (check at Amazon)||5.0|
|Casio Men's BEM307BL-1A2V Brown Leather Quartz Watch with Black Dial (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Citizen Men's BW0203-01E Eco-Drive Brown Leather Strap Gold-Tone Black Dial Watch (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Michael Kors Chronograph Ion-plated Steel Black Dial Men's watch #MK8088 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Ghost-Town Gold (1936)-Barrington's men rob the bank and hide the gold in a ghost town (check at Amazon)||3.0|
|Nike Park IV Cushioned (SOCCER SOCKS) (Black, Men's Shoe size 8-12/ Women's 10-12) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Wilson All Sport Men's Crew Socks, Black, Mens Shoe Size 6-12, 7 Pair Pack (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Men's Soft-Dry Moisture Wicking Performance Crew Socks 6 Pack, Black, Men's shoe 8-12 /Large (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Wilson All Sport, Men's Low Cut Socks, 7 Pair Pack, Black, Men's Shoe Size 6-12 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Dri-Fit Cushioned Crew Socks 3 Pack - Men's (XL - Shoe Size: 12-15, Black) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Men's 3-pk. Dri-FIT Cushioned Crew Socks - Made in USA (Large-shoe size: 8-12, Royal/Black/White) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Dri-Fit Low Cut Socks 3 Pair - Men's (XL - Shoe Size: 12-15, Black) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Crew Cut Socks 3 pack (XL (Fits mens shoe size 12-15), Black) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Diana Men's Death Silicone Swimming Cap Black/White/Red (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Puma Mens Crew Cut 6-Pair Sport Lifestyle Socks (12-16, Black) (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Champion Traps and Targets Browning A5 Stock, 12-Gauge, Black (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|B-Square Shotgun Browning A5 Auto 12 Gauge, Saddle Style Mount, Matte Black Finish (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Wilson A0360 Baseball Glove, Right Hand Throw, 12.5", Black/Brown (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike SB Elite Snowboard Socks Black Men's Large 8-12 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Cleveland Browns Official NFL 12 inch x 6 inch Metal License Plate Frame by Wincraft (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Granite Creek Crew Sweater by Smartwool - in your choice of color (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Tennessee Tradition Silk Tie by NCAA in Tan/Taupe (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Thinsulate Deluxe ECW Gloves by Rothco in ACU Digital (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Miami Plaid Polyester Tie by NCAA in Green (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Reversible Lightweight Uniform Jacket by Rothco in Black / Yellow (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men‘s Lace Up - Oxfords Casual Dress Shoes - 2 Styles - In Black / Dark Brown - Sizes 7-12 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Men's Free Tr 5.0 Premium Black/Black/Gum Med Brown Training Shoe 12 Men US (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Nike Men's Paul Rodriguez 7 Black/Medium/Grey/Mltry Brown Skate Shoe 12 Men US (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Delli Aldo Black Mens Square Toe Loafer Dress Casual Shoes Styled in Italy (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Toca Synergy Black Mamba Djembe With Bag And Djembe Hat 13 In (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Mad Men Christmas: Music From And Inspired By The Hit AMC TV Series (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Black Onyx Flat Faceted Oval and Crystals by Swarovski Crystal Aurora Borealis Stretch Bracelet, 7.5" (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Brand New Men's Trendy Titanium and Stainless Steel Bracelet in Gift Box, Anti-fatigue, Pain Relief -BR203 (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Ultimate Space Black 7mm Black Mens Hoop Huggie Earrings (1 Pair) by RnB Jewelry (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|INBLUE Men's Stainless Steel Genuine Leather Bracelet Link Wrist Black Silver Tone Brown Death grim Reaper Skull Gothic (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Stainless Steel Mens Black Cufflinks with Checkerboard Design and Cubic Zironia Comes in a Nice Box (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Mystic Topaz and Diamond Accent Ring in Sterling Silver (check at Amazon)||0.0|
|Men's Tiger Eye and Diamond Accent Ring in 10k Yellow Gold (check at Amazon)||0.0|
Michael Brown Death Anniversary: 12 Unarmed Black Men Have Been Shot and Killed By Police in 2018 have 2280 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 7, 2018. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.