close Video NH leads nation in overdoses from deadly drug Fentanyl New Hampshire leads nation in overdoses from deadly drug Fentanyl. PLAISTOW, N.H. – On an autumn afternoon in 2014, Jim Zanfagna received a phone call from his son-in-law, alerting him to a string of alarming messages that were surfacing on Facebook. His 25-year-old daughter, Jacqueline, had died, and friends were posting condolence messages before the Zanfagnas ever heard from authorities. “Social media learned before we did,” Zanfagna said, as he fought back tears inside his Plaistow, N.H., home. The cause of death was an accidental overdose from heroin laced with fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid that is killing more people in New Hampshire than in any other state. Fentanyl is deadly at two milligrams – akin to a few grains of salt – making the risk of a fatal overdose high. While the drug is commonly used by hospitals, it is also made illicitly in China and imported into the U.S. by Mexican drug cartels. “Fentanyl is extremely powerful and was intended mainly for use in anesthesia and postoperative pain control,” said Dr. William Goodman, medical director at the Catholic Medical Center in Manchester. “One thing that makes abusing street… Read full this story
- New Hampshire task force approves rules for camps, sports
- New Hampshire Governor Says Ordering Residents to Wear Masks Would Not Be 'Appropriate at This Time'
- New Hampshire high school to hold graduation ceremony on a ski lift
- New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen tells Biden campaign she doesn't want to be vetted for vice president
- New Hampshire restaurants resume outdoor, seated dining
- New Hampshire Governor Shares Surge In State’s Interest For A Unique Sport
- New Hampshire expands virus testing to more workers
- Storms Leave Damage Across Massachusetts, New Hampshire
- New Hampshire closes in on nursing home testing goals
- New Hampshire Fish And Game: No Need To Report Wildlife
Family's fentanyl tragedy underscores 'mind-boggling' opioid crisis in New Hampshire have 323 words, post on www.foxnews.com at June 16, 2018. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.