South African President Jacob Zuma was facing increasing pressure from the ruling ANC party to resign on Tuesday, as the government struggled to resolve a leadership crisis that has dragged on since last week. Leaders of the African National Congress concluded that Mr Zuma should quit during a marathon committee meeting which ended overnight, South African media reported. However, the continuing lack of a resolution to the country’s political limbo indicated that the president was spurning the demands of many former supporters and possibly holding out for concessions in exchange for his resignation. The impasse highlighted the disarray within the party that was tpreviously he main movement against white minority rule and has led South Africa since the end of apartheid in 1994. The ANC once commanded moral stature as the party of Nelson Mandela, but corruption scandals linked to Mr Zuma have cut into its popularity ahead of national elections in 2019. The ANC on Tuesday planned to announce the results of the 13-hour meeting of its national executive committee, which has about 100 members. However, if Mr Zuma rejects any instruction from his own party to resign, the matter could go to parliament for a vote on a motion… Read full this story
- Spanish elections: Citizens' Party leader Albert Rivera resigns after poor electoral score
- S. African ruling party warns mining companies against retrenchments
- Germany Should Make Cooperation With Russia a Policy Goal - Ruling Party Leader
- Richard Branson apologizes after tweeting photo full of white people to announce a South African project
- Special South African gin is infused with elephant dung
- Female doctor bites off 'sex attacker's' TONGUE as he 'tries to rape her while she slept in South African hospital staff quarters'
- South African returnee, one other arrested for alleged robbery in Lagos
- Hindu Samaj Party leader Kamlesh Tiwari was murdered two days before actual plan
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar Likely To Be BJP Legislature Party Leader Again
- South African President Zuma Offers Resignation
South African ruling party leaders push for Zuma resignation have 339 words, post on www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk at February 13, 2018. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.