Part drama part crime caper, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a magnificent and eccentric blend of realism and absurdity. From Martin McDonagh, writer director of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths, it’s already tipped for Oscar success with nine nominations at this year’s BAFTAs and four wins at the Golden Globes already in the bag. It shares its dark and wry sense humour with the rest of McDonagh’s oeuvre but Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri has more heart, its imperfect, tormented characters encapsulating the human experience. For this, particularly its unabashed presentation of a racist police officer played with comedy and a twinge of misery by the marvellous Sam Rockwell, the film has attracted a degree of controversy. Indeed, its lack of a clear moral message is unconventional for an awards season contender. The film’s open ending leaves us uncertain about the journey its characters are on. It’s what makes Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri so magnetic both dramatically and emotionally. The story centres on Mildred (Frances McDormand), a grieving mother frustrated with the lack of progress made by the local police investigating her daughter’s rape and murder. She rents three local billboards to embarrass and spur them into action…. Read full this story
- 'I know all too well the struggles of a cruel illness': Dame Barbara Windsor thanks Good Morning Britain award winner for helping people with Alzheimer's 'fight against loneliness'
- Premier Badminton League 2020: Bengaluru Raptors clinch title: Full list of award winners, prize money
- List of Academy Award winners so far
- 2016 Spirit Award Winners Announced
- Lauren Alaina, Brett Young, Midland Announced as ACM Awards Winners
- ‘Stop children from getting ‘involved’ in Shaheen Bagh protest,’ says 12-year-old bravery award winner to SC
- Take inspiration from award winners: Collector
- Greenberg Traurig's Ed Wallace Named One of City & State's Lifetime Achievement Award Winners
- Here Are Your 2020 Academy Award Winners
- 2012 Film Independent Spirit Award Winners
REVIEW: Award-winner Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a must-see have 333 words, post on www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk at January 20, 2018. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.