Improperly disposed flammable liquid sparks fire in east Colorado Springs

0 View Comments The Colorado Springs Fire Department is reminding community members to properly dispose of flammable liquids after floor finishing liquid sparked a fire in east Colorado Springs. At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Colorado Springs Fire Department received a report of a structure fire at a single- story, single-family house under construction at 2705 Lark Drive. When fire crews arrived, they saw smoke emitting from the eaves of the home. Fire department spokesman Capt. Brian Vaughan said bystanders told firefighters that the kitchen was on fire, and fire crews had the fire knocked down within five minutes of arriving. Related: Firefigthers knock down fire near I-25 and Garden of the Gods Road No one was inside of the home at the time of the fire, and no firefighters were injured. Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental and caused by the improper disposal of applicators used with a floor finishing product. The applicators soaked with the liquid were left inside of a plastic trash bag, causing it to heat up and eventually combust. The fire department is reminding people that flammable liquids, including gasoline, kerosene, lacquers, paint thinner, paint solvents, hair spray and certain cleaning fluids can be fire hazards because their vapors can easily ignite. Oily and solvent-wet rags should be stored in a tightly-sealed metal container or hang them outside to dry before discarding.

Speak Your Mind