In 2015, Pope Francis approved a decree that attributed a miracle to Mother Teresa, the woman who died 18 years earlier after spending her life ministering to the poor in India. With that, Mother Teresa was declared a saint.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie isn’t waiting that long.
On Monday, Christie — who is still in office, and whose approval ratings have set records for being the poorest for state governors — is getting a road in his home county named after him.
Add this to the list of head-scratching instances of New Jersey pols getting their names put on public places. In one case, a new Amtrak/NJTransit train terminal in Middlesex County was named for a U.S. senator who was snagged a year later in the Abscam bribery scandal and ultimately went to jail.
Watch the video at the top of the page to see just how unpopular Christie became with New Jersey residents. This story continues at the bottom of the page.
Click through the next pages to see some more…
Christie’s second and final term in office ends Jan. 16. A new access road to Central Park of Morris County is being christened Governor Chris Christie Drive. (Originally, government officials said the route would be called Governor Chris Christie Way. At some point, minds were changed). The Republican governor lives in Mendham Township in the county and served in local government in the mid-1990s.
Christie, of course, has a legacy that includes a political scandal over a closed road. His former deputy chief of staff and a top appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey were convicted of conspiracy, fraud and civil rights violations after the 2013 George Washington Bridge lane closure.
Still, Morris County spokesman Larry Ragonese told The Associated Press that this is a “fitting honor” for the first governor to hail from the county since the 1800s.
- Chris Froome out of Tour de France after ‘very serious’ crash
- Liverpool's European kings honored in FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Gwendoline Christie says emotional goodbye to Brienne of Tarth
- Gwendoline Christie totally predicted the Game of Thrones finale
- Christie fizzes for seven-up Celtic on flag day
- Chris Dawson's staggering personal wealth revealed
- Down revive their Christy Ring Cup hopes with win in Wicklow
- OnePlus confirms its smart OnePlus TV is on the way
- Actor Chris Pratt ties the knot with Arnie's daughter Katherine
- Jeffrey Epstein threw a party in honor of Prince Andrew in 2010