For the past few weeks we’ve been locked in the basement at Yankee Stadium, subsisting on nothing but Bergen Bagels, listening to the best songs about New York City through headphones endorsed by Lou Reed. Our mission: to come up with a list of the 60 best songs ever written about our city, songs that best capture what it’s like to live, love, struggle, and exist in the sprawling, unforgiving, culturally dense metropolis we pay too much to call home. We started by agreeing on the songs we shouldn’t include — naked and clunky stabs at new New York anthems that fall flat and ring inauthentic, like Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind,” U2’s “New York,” and Taylor Swift’s “Welcome to New York.” Instead, we focus on tracks that are so New York, and so good, they can’t be denied. Here they are. Listen to our Spotify playlist, which has most of the songs you’ll read about below. Contributors: Steve Almond, R.C. Baker, Heather Baysa, Jack Buehrer, Jesus Diaz, Tom Finkel, Chaz Kangas, Mike Laws, Linda Leseman, Brian McManus, Albert Samaha, Alan Scherstuhl, Mike Seely, Brittany Spanos, Katherine Turman See also: The 50 Most New York Albums 60. Catey Shaw –… Read full this story
- The 10 Best '70s Movie Soundtracks
- Our Travels in New Zealand Part 2
- Twin Cities concerts of the week: Sugarland, Trampled by Turtles, Earth, Wind & Fire
- Summer fare '09: 'X-Men,' 'Terminator' and 'Star Trek' are just the beginning
- Holiday treats: FJI previews end-of-the-year movie fare
- 'Ally McBeal' at 20: Calista Flockhart, David E. Kelley and More on Dancing Babies, Feminism and Robert Downey Jr.
- Tribeca Announces Impressive 2018 Feature Film Lineup
- 12 Mistakes Ghostbusters 3 Needs To Avoid
- ‘Aquaman’ dominates Christmas box office
- CS Interview: Andrea Berloff on Directing The Kitchen
The 60 Best Songs Ever Written About New York City have 311 words, post on www.villagevoice.com at November 18, 2014. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.