TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida’s education commissioner resigned Thursday following revelations that he altered the school grading formula in his former state of Indiana to benefit a charter school.Tony Bennett, the former Indiana state superintendent of public instruction, had directed staff to reconsider a new system after Christel House Academy in Indianapolis, operated by a donor to his campaign, dropped from an A to a C. The Florida Board of Education hired Bennett in December after he lost his re-election bid in Indiana.”We can put this issue to rest, said Bennett, who also said he would ask Indiana’s inspector general to investigate his actions. “I am fearless about what they will find.”Bennett said the decision to resign was his own, but he wanted to help Florida avoid “distractions” as it prepares to put new education standards and grading systems in place at every level.In Indiana, Bennett’s staff changed the grade for Christel House and 12 other schools after Bennett’s lieutenants reinterpreted a rule for calculating the grades of schools that combine elementary, middle and high school. Bennett insisted in e-mails that Christel House must receive an A.In the end, it did.”What we did in Indiana was very simple,” Bennett said. “We… Read full this story
- World Biathlon Chief Resigns Amid Charges Of Taking Russian Bribes
- Florida school massacre survivor David Hogg rejects Laura Ingraham's apology and says she should quit Fox News presenter role
- Parkland survivors condemn far-right websites for comparing Florida school shooting survivor David Hogg to Hitler
- Frank Stallone sparks backlash for branding Florida school shooting survivor David Hogg a 'rich little b****'
- Macron faces no confidence votes amid security officer scandal
- Father of Florida school shooting survivors killed by gunman
- MH370: Malaysia’s civil aviation chief resigns
- Dunblane victim's relatives visit Florida school shooting families
- Florida school shooting hero blames sheriff, superintendent
- French Opposition Calls for No-Confidence Vote Amid Macron Aide Scandal
Florida schools chief resigns amid Indiana grade scandal have 334 words, post on www.usatoday.com at August 1, 2013. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.