Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett called the NCAA’s sanctions against Penn State an “unprecedented and aggressive discipline” in a federal complaint Corbett filed in January in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, but Thursday a judge dismissed the antitrust lawsuit, calling the legal action an errant “Hail Mary pass.” Corbett sought to overturn the sanctions the non-governmental agency levied against Penn State last summer in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal. The sanctions included a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason and bowl ban and loss of scholarships. Sandusky, the former PSU football coach under the late Joe Paterno, is serving a minimum 30-year prison sentence after a jury found him guilty on 45 counts of sex abuse. “The fact that the alleged actions of those involved in the tragic events at Penn State were criminal, and that no violations of NCAA rules had been identified, would not dissuade Dr. (Mark) Emmert from seizing upon the international publicity that the Penn State matter had instantly attracted to make a show of unprecedented and aggressive discipline that he, with the input of a handful of university presidents and chancellors, would determine and impose,” read the complaint. “Once and for all,… Read full this story
- Federal court dismisses Tiyan land lawsuit
- Don't assign political comment to federal judges' decisions
- All of Theresa May's Brexit options are unpalatable, but her Hail Mary conditional vote won't help
- Resign, try again or go for the Hail Mary: What can Theresa May do now to deliver Brexit?
- Federal judge explains decision to dismiss charges in drug smuggling case
- Governor to deliver State of the Island Address
- Nigerian voters turn out to elect governors in 29 states
- This is what happened when three time-strapped home cooks tackled Mary Berry’s Quick Cooking
- Virginia Judge Dismisses Democrats’ Lawsuit Over Alleged Trump-Russia Collusion
- Judge decides Trump's plot against health care unlawful
Federal judge tosses ‘Hail Mary’ lawsuit vs. NCAA by Pa. governor in wake of Penn State sanctions have 323 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at June 6, 2013. This is cached page on USA Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.